Would you and your pet like to volunteer with Pets and People® in the Kelowna area?
Pets and People® Visiting Society members come from all walks of life, but they all have one thing in common… a desire to share with others the joy their pets have given them. Most of our visiting pets are dogs, but we also welcome cats and rabbits of a friendly disposition.
Together with our pets, Pets and People® Visiting Society provides over 5500 hrs in community volunteer time annually within the Kelowna area.
We thank you for your interest in volunteering with Pets and People® Visiting Society and look forward to meeting with you and your pet at our next screening.
Please download and print these required forms. If you have any questions or need hard copies, please follow the links above to contact us.
1. Registration Form – is to be completed by the volunteer.
2. Veterinary Inspection and Medical Record – to be completed and signed by your veterinarian after examining your pet.
Please send both completed forms to
Pets and People® Visiting Society,
#9-3151 Lakeshore Rd., Suite 211,
Kelowna, B.C. V1W 3S9
You can also contact us to make arrangements to get them emailed to us. However, the originals will need to be submitted at the screening.
Once your forms have been submitted, you will be contacted by Pets and People to attend a screening. Screenings are held several times a year, depending on the number of applicants.
Pets and their volunteers are carefully screened before being accepted.
The screening is conducted by experienced Pets and People® volunteers in a veterinary facility with a veterinarian present.
We look carefully at the pets:
- Relationship with its handler
- Disposition and behaviour
- Understanding of basic obedience commands
- Response to people
- Overall health and cleanliness
The following criteria apply to all our volunteers:
- Visiting animals must be 1 year old or more, have a current license, be trained in basic obedience, and have relatively calm nature.
- Pets are not allowed into our program if they are on a raw food diet. For more information on this requirement, this article may be helpful; https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkbc-files/pets-human-disease
- Animals must be fully vaccinated at the time of the screening.
- Cleanliness is a priority. Proper grooming, along with trimmed nails, clean teeth and ears etc. is always required for your visiting pet.
- You can choose to volunteer from the many Kelowna area facilities we visit. Some facilities may require criminal record checks and a current flu shot.
- Volunteers without pets are also welcome as members of Pets and People® Visiting Society. There are a variety of administration and promotional events that we welcome volunteers for.
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age unless accompanied by an adult.
- Our Annual Membership fee is $20.00 to help with the insurance we must carry so that you and your pet are insured while visiting.
- Before being accepted into the program, your pet must be checked by your veterinarian.
To maintain your membership in Pets and People® as a volunteer you are required to –
Pay your membership fee of 20.00 by December 31 of each calendar year.
Have your visiting pet seen by your Vet for an annual wellness exam and complete a Veterinary Inspection Form, which you must submit within each calendar year. Click on the vet form here.