Would you and your pet like to volunteer with Pets and People in the Kelowna area?
Pets and People® Visiting Society members come from all walks of life, but they all have one thing in common… a desire to share with others the joy their pets have given them. Most of our visiting pets are dogs, but we also welcome cats and rabbits of friendly disposition.
Together with our pets Pets and People® Visiting Society provides over 3000 hrs in community volunteer time annually within the Kelowna area.
We thank you for your interest in volunteering with Pets and People® Visiting Society, and look forward to meeting with you and your pet at our next screening.
These forms are required for joining Pets and People® Visiting Society.
Please download and/or print these forms. If you have any questions or need hard copies, please follow the links above to contact us.
1. Registration Form – is to be completed by the volunteer
2. Veterinary Inspection and Medical Record – to be completed and signed by your veterinarian after examining your pet
3. Cover Letter – for your information
Please send both completed forms to Pets and People® Visiting Society, #9-3151 Lakeshore Rd., Suite 211, Kelowna, B.C. V1W 3S9 or contact us to make arrangements to get them emailed to us
Once your forms have been submitted, you will be contacted by Pets and People to attend a screening. Screenings are held several times a year depending on the amount of applicants.
Pets and their volunteers are carefully screened before being accepted.
The screening is conducted by experienced Pets and People® volunteers in a veterinary facility with a veterinarian present.
We look carefully at the pet’s:
- Relationship with its handler
- Disposition and behaviour
- Understanding of basic commands
- Response to people
- General health and cleanliness
The following criteria applies to all our volunteers:
- Visiting animals must be 1 year old or more, have a current license, be trained in basic obedience, and have relatively calm nature.
- Pets are not allowed into our program if they are on a raw food diet.
- Cleanliness is a priority. Proper grooming, along with trimmed nails ,clean teeth and ears etc. is required for your visiting pet.
- You can chose to volunteer from the many Kelowna area facilities we visit. Some facilities may require criminal record checks and a current flu shot.
- Volunteers without pets are also welcome as members in Pets and People® Visiting Society. There are a variety of administration and promotional events that we welcome volunteers for.
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age unless accompanied by an adult.
- Our Annual Membership fee is $10.00 to help with the insurance we must carry, so that you and your pet are insured while visiting.
- Before being accepted into the program, your pet must be checked by your veterinarian.
To maintain your membership in Pets and People as a volunteer you are required to have your visiting pet seen by your vet for an annual wellness exam and to complete the Vet Form, which you must submit to Pets and People annually.